Sunday, May 3, 2009

So much food, work and exertion-Not enough time.

It has been quite a few days for me. I have utilizied my kitchen quite a bit more than I believe I ever have. I got in 4 good workouts this week. I worked more than the requisite 40 hours and I played all weekend. I definately deserve everything I have taken in.

I finally finished using all my strawberries. In all I made; 2 batches strawberry lemonade, strawberry ice cream, strawberry scones, strawberry freezer jam and an entire weeks worth of breakfast smoothies. I deliciously devoured each item. I gave all but 2 of the jams away.

I prefer my jam to be smooth. I don't like it when it has the chunks of fruit. So I blended mine up before adding the freezer jam pectin that I picked up from Smiths Marketplace. I enjoyed using the strawberries up that I thought I should use the bread, we get it from Crossroads Food Co-Op, that usually ends up going to waste. Its a very dry bread. So I thought CROUTONS!

I actually don't enjoy croutons. They hurt my jaw. But sometimes for flavor I suffer through them. And I had already made a homemade ranch dressing, so why not complete my salads with garlic croutons.

These were actually quite simple and I prefer them to ALL other croutons. I just cubed the bread, tossed them in a ziploc bag with olive oil and seasonings and then meticulously spaced them on a cookie sheet. Baked at 450 degrees, meticulously flipped each one after one side had brown and baked again. Cooled and bagged for future salads.

My kitchen escapades were certainly not done there. I made a delightful banana cake I found from my sisters blog, I had tons of bananas-that to this day I have 2 left to use up. And I got more bananas from the Bountiful Baskets Co-Op. While it was a lengthy process to make, I loved it so much I made it a second time on Sunday. I plan on having it eaten completely by Monday night. I don't think I will be able to give half of it up to you, Crystal. There is no picture because if I am looking at it, I am eating it. No hand available to take a picture.

Sunday I got to go to the park and wear all my nephews out. I got to chase them all around the big toy in the park. We were there for over an hour. I hid once and got two of them to actually chase me for a change. Unfortunately, I didn't save the video Hunter "directed" of me re-enacting the game of tag him and I played. That was really what I going to blog about but I didn't save it. Cut me some slack! *refer to the first paragraph of this post*

Talk about a total crick in the neck!

After having so much fun during the day I still had to think about dinner. I needed some carbs. And lo and behold the Co-op has given me so many red potatoes to use. And I have dill and chives that need to be used before they go bad. But I wanted something different.
I saw a recipe for crash hot potatoes on The Pioneer Woman website. I adapted it to include garlic, dill and chives. Yummy! Next time I need to add more garlic.

Anyhoo, I am sure you guys are tired of hearing me talk about food. Besides, my second delightful banana cake is done and I can't wait to start pigging out. Hmmmmm.........

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the twins! And boy your turning into a great little cooker! Go look at Melanie's blog she is having a contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Happy birthday to YOU!

    ReplyDelete