Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We're friends? Acquaintances, maybe?

Within the span of 36 hours I came across two instances of whether someone was a friend or an acquaintance. Which led to me thinking...do I make long lasting friendships or just of the moment acquaintances?

If you were to take a look at my social life at this given time you'd see it consists of my family and several co-workers. Now I do consider these folks to be friends. I want to do stuff with them. When I think of an activity I want to do, an event I'd like to attend or a restaurant I'd like to eat at my first thoughts go to these people. Maybe they'd like to try it. We can try it together. Do they only come to my mind because I spend the most time with them, physically and verbally. (Is texting considered verbal?)

I could list several upon several instances of people I either went to school with or worked alongside of that I would spend plenty of time with and considered a friend that now, not being in school or working with, that I hardly, if ever, hear from again.

When I was a young child I can remember a fight that occurred between myself and my two best friends. We got over it and made up, because of pair of jelly sandals, and our good times forged ahead. My parents then got divorced and I can honestly say I never had what I would consider a best friend again. Of those two best friends, I haven't heard from one of them since elementary school. The second one I reconnected with briefly in High School and then again via facebook.

In Jr High I made several friends and can fondly remember our times using the words stoopid and phat. But when high school came they went to Bountiful High and I went to Woods Cross. We tried to stay in touch and I even sluffed my school to go to their seminary class. Brother Southwick if I recall correctly. And I was a home schooled cousin visiting for the week. But eventually we grew apart.

There is gag that my only friends are ones from work. I will admit at first I was embarrassed about it. I've thought about it quite thoroughly and intently and have yet to make my mind up. I'm not embarrassed anymore about it because some work friends are my most favorite. But I question why I couldn't keep a friendship? Do I need the closeness? Some people are friends and only chat or see each other a few times a year. Why can't I? Why didn't I maintain contact with those where it was lost? I don't remember those little, yet hugely effective, details. I guess the most important part is I remember the fun times we had.

I would never want to forgot those.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

  1. I feel that way with Kathlene, Shanna and Deawn. I was so close to them and our little get together meant a lot and I wonder why I allowed myself to grow apart from them as much as I did. I have yet to have any real close friends but I know I wouldn't be where I am in my life today if it did not happen so I have to look at it that way. Too much deep thinking for me on a Saturday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's get together! Dinner? Name the time and place! I would love to go back to the way things used to be! Let's do it! PS I remember that fight too! ;)

    ReplyDelete